Sunday, May 13, 2012

A term in physiology: piezolyte for an osmolyte whose cellular levels respond to hydrostatic and osmotic pressure

The term piezolyte derives from the Greek roots piezo and lytos, referring to something squeezed under pressure and something that is soluble or dissolved, respectively.  The “something”  is a special form of an osmolyte. An osmolyte, dissolved in intracellular liquid, regulates cell properties—mainly the cell's volume—in response to osmotic pressure. A piezolyte performs in response to both osmotic and hydrostatic pressure [1-3].

Piezolytes are organic molecules, which are found in organisms that live in shallow or deep water, where they experience hydrostatic pressure. Examples are the small molecule β-hydroxybutyrate (β-HB) and oligomers composed of β-HB units, identified as intracellular solutes in the deep-sea bacterium Photobacterium profundum [1].

Piezolytes have also been studied in crustaceans and sea cucumbers (down to 2,900 m) and in fish (down to 4,900 m), but it is not yet known how piezolytes perform in animals living at depths down to 10,000 m. The HADES (Hadal Ecosystem Studies) project includes expeditions into the hadal zone of the Kermadec trench near New Zealand and will examine how marine animals adapt to high pressures in the deep sea and which role piezolytes play in cells that grow and function above atmospheric pressures [3].  

Keywords:  biochemistry, microbiology, intracellular solutes, osmosis, marine science.

References and more to explore
[1] Deana Desmarais Martin, Douglas H. Bartlett and Mary F. Roberts: Solute accumulation in the deep-sea bacterium Photobacterium profundum. Extremophiles 2002, 6, pp. 507-514 [bartlettlab.ucsd.edu/Publications_files/Martin2002.pdf].
[2] Paul H. Yancey: Organic osmolytes as compatible, metabolic and counteracting cytoprotectants in high osmolarity and other stresses. The Journal of Experimental Biology 2005, 208, pp. 2819-2830 [jeb.biologists.org/content/208/15/2819.full].
[3] Jane J. Lee: Ocean's Deep, Dark Trenches to Get Their Moment in the Spotlight. Science April 13, 2012, 336 (6078), pages 141and 143. DOI: 10.1126/science.336.6078.141.

32 comments:

  1. This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free. I love seeing websites that understand the value of providing a quality resource for free. It is the old what goes around comes around routine.
    http://www.genesishealthinstitute.com/testosterone.php

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very appreciate to your site who provide us this informative resource thank for sharing us this information.

    hotelchainsuk.org.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. it’s by this post I stumbled upon my answer for exactly what i was looking for. Thanks to suit the amazing post looking to find more quality post.

    http://www.pbmaterials.com


    ReplyDelete
  4. It is by this post I stumbled upon my answer for exactly what i was looking for. Thanks to suit the amazing post looking to find more quality post.

    Tipcosmetic

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is very interesting Smile I love reading and I am always searching for informative information like this


    bizznus

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very interesting i got read. Thank you for sharing i have bookmarked this page will back soon to read out more here.www.abortion-facts.org

      Delete
  6. This is a very informative and Useful post and help me out to get all valuable information regarding this topic. Great work
    http://www.accidentinjuryhelplines.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  7. After reading a couple of the post on your website these few days, and I heartily like your style of blogging. I make you sure that i will tag it to my favorites internet site list.
    superleather.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with you. This post is truly inspiring. I like your post and everything you share with us is current and very informative.
    Testking 70-680

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like your article so that I read all of your articles in a day. Please continue and keep on writing excellent posts.
    link

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cool text dude, keep up the good work, just shared this with that the mates
    interesting post

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a very informative article on this blog. I really like this blog.http://www.airlinesplanet.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your post is really supurb…. Keep working ….!!!
    www.tkdumps.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven’t any word to appreciate this post.....Really I am impressed from this post....the person who creates this post it was a great human. Thanks for shared this with us.
    sharphosts

    ReplyDelete
  14. I haven’t any word to appreciate this post.....Really I am impressed from this post....the person who creates this post it was a great human. Thanks for shared this with us.
    www.dumps4me.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fantastic blog post and very useful information will keep it in mind, thanks for sharing the information keep updating,
    envisionwebhosting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good guidelines are Sound advice, I would like to be a part of your web page anyway.
      tubal reversal services

      Delete
  16. This website has some really useful information on it. Thanks for sharing it with me!
    1-hit.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very nice blog article, keep posting this kind of data…..very informative…!!!
    Dumps4certs

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for such a great post and the review, I am totally impressed! Keep stuff like this coming.
    a thread from spider net

    ReplyDelete
  19. Excellent post. I want to thank you for this informative read, I really appreciate sharing this great post. Keep up your work. Thanks for this very useful
    a thread from spider net

    ReplyDelete
  20. Creativity is just connecting things. When you ask creative people how they did something, they feel a little guilty because they didn't really do it, they just saw something. It seemed obvious to them after a while. That's because they were able to connect experiences they've had and synthesize new things.

    Broadband for Business



    ReplyDelete
  21. Superb piece of writing about being healthy this spring shared !!! I just wanted to comment your blog and say that I really useful reading your blog post here. It was very informative. I like it and try to keep these tips. Keep it up and I’ll be back to read more soon.
    Book online and stay in royal accommodations in the heart of city

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is the perfect blog for anyone who wants to know about this topic. You know so much its almost hard to argue with you (not that I really would want...HaHa). You definitely put a new spin on a subject thats been written about for years. Great stuff, just great!
    Search best car hire deals and offers at www.sleekcarhire.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is a smart blog. I mean it. You have so much knowledge about this issue, and so much passion. You also know how to make people rally behind it, obviously from the responses. You’ve got a design here that’s not too flashy, but makes a statement as big as what you’re saying. Great job, indeed.
    https://www.southsmoke.com/

    ReplyDelete
  24. I lately came across your website and have been studying along. I believed I would keep my first opinion. I don't know what to say except that I have experienced studying. Awesome weblog. I will keep viewing this weblog very often.
    nutricionista barcelona

    ReplyDelete
  25. fantastic work has done thanks for sharing and keep it up

    Accredited GED Online

    ReplyDelete
  26. I really like the dear information you offer in your articles. I’m able to bookmark your site and show the kids check out up here generally. Im fairly positive theyre likely to be informed a great deal of new stuff here than anyone else ! font converter online

    ReplyDelete
  27. I am very appreciate your site,and your article is useful...

    ReplyDelete
  28. Dating for everyone is here: ❤❤❤ Link 1 ❤❤❤


    Direct sexchat: ❤❤❤ Link 2 ❤❤❤

    kl ..

    ReplyDelete